From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:06:22 EST
Lactnetters:
Am writing to alert you all to something new which we just discovered on the
Newborn CHannel.....formula advertising. I have not been on Lactnet for a
while so am not 100% sure that this has not already been on...but it is being
done in a pretty sneaky manner - On their website
(http://www.newborn.com/About.html) it specifically says: the Newborn Channel
does not accept infant-formula advertising. And since we were told today
directly by the Vice President of Professional Relations Missey Moe-Cook at
The Newborn Channel that she "was not allowed" to call those of us who use
the Channel to tell us when this formula advertising was accepted, it may be
going unnoticed.
The Newborn Channel as many of you will know is a satellite TV channel which
puts out 6 hours worth of programming on newborn behavior, bathing, safety,
feeding etc that is repeated 4 times in 24  hours. It is sponsored by
advertisers. The current list of advertisers on the website does not include
formula manufacturers. Hospitals with over 1000 births per year can get this
TV channel for free. Before we agreed to run it at Boston Medical Center we
made sure there was no formula advertising and we made it clear to Newborn
Channel that this was important to us because we are Baby-Friendly.
Suddenly we became aware of the fact that American Store Brand formula is now
being advertised on the channel. Today we called the Vice President of
Professional Relations at the Newborn Channel and had an amazing conversation
with her. When we asked her why she had not told us of this change in
advertising, she said she was "not allowed to tell anyone".(personal
conversation 11/29/30). I am also going to post the email she sent us
following the phone conversation which was between her, Dr Bobbi Philipp, and
our Birth Place Nurse Manager, Barbara Pascoe, who discovered what was going
on and pulled in Dr Philipp for advice.
We suggest that an email deluge or a letter writing campaign here may have an
effect. As you will see from the letter this lady sent us, the depth of the
issue appears to escape her. Pls Lactnetters - let the channel know that this
kind of behavior MATTERS and does not go unnoticed.
Email: [log in to unmask]
Mailing address:
       Newborn Channel
       9 Old Kings Hwy S.
       Darien Conn. 06820
       C/0 Missey Moke Cook
       Vice President of Professional Relationships
tele 203-559-3657