From:
LuAnn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:56:50 -0400
I have just one more question to pose to the group. One peds practice in our
area is requesting that their exclusivley breastfeeding moms give a daily
Tri-Vi-Sol vitamins to their babies and state that if babies are taking at
least 2 bottles of F.... per day that they do not need to give it. So, the
mom I talked to today said she was thinking about doing this, as she says on
the other hand she is suffering from supposed low milk supply even though
her baby has never had a problem with weight gain.

My response was - you are telling me something I am hearing for the very
first time. Most of our pediatricians are not offering vitamins at all the
breastfeeding babies, because breast milk has all that babies need.

I know that docs are concerned about Vitamin D, and I closely listened to
mom as she told me he only risk factor in pregnancy was difficulty gaining
enough weight. She only gained 10 lbs and she now is well below her
prepregnancy weight, however all in all baby has done well and continued to
gain well at 10 weeks post delivery.

My question is how many of the Peds you know are offering viitamins - is
this new info or are these
docs just not following the mainstream? (Of course I know that all of this
is really unnecessary and that breast milk is just FINE the way it is
.....another sigh!!!!)

LuAnn Smith RN, IBCLC
York, PA