From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 16:34:14 +0100
The recommendations I referred to are for Norway, based on examinations of
fresh water fish caught here.  Our bureau of food safety has a website where
they always keep such things posted because we have a lot of coast, a lot of
lakes, and a tradition of eating fish.

The current recommendations *for Norway* are that pregnant and breastfeeding
women avoid trout over 1 kg (2.2 lb), bass over 25 cm (10 inches) and pike,
any size, because of mercury pollution.  If the trout are caught in salt
water they are OK.

There are other considerations about PCBs and dioxins but they are not
specific to pregnancy and breastfeeding.  It is all in Norwegian or I would
refer you straight to the source.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway, where we are advised against consuming the liver of
fish caught in our local fjord, due to industrial pollution.  :(