From:
LuAnn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:12:11 -0400
To all of us who have lived through natural childbirth and aren't  so gadget
and - technology oriented,

Here, here for your words on pumping and mother's mindset. As valuable as
the internet is, it  has provided both marketing for some companies and a
tremendous source of information overload for some vulnerable first time
moms.  The older I get the more I try to simplfy. Many moms are convinced
they have to have a pump. Why to does breastfeeding have to be so
complicated? Dare I say "just do it" like to Nike commercial?.  It is so
very true though. I think sometimes even the literature provided can be so
in depth that mothers get anxious just reading it.  The fear of feeding too
often and possiible dependance on mom is so much an issue for some. Oh, how
I wish mothers could look globally and not read about only what's done in
America......

I  had a mom who per Dr, instructions was pumping an hour afer breastfeeding
and offering the baby hindmilk and finding  the baby to "still be hungry"
after nursing  and needing to pump and supplement yet again.  An all too
familiar scenario I think.  On Pediatircs we had a baby who was found to be
negative for r/o pyloric stenosis. I suggersted to mom that she "just nurse"
with OAL and reflux precautions and she actually told me she coulddn't
possibly nurse every 1 1/2 -2 hours and that she needed to give the rice
cereal with formula so the baby would go at least 3 hours between feedings!
ARGGGH!

It would be great if every day and in every way, we could help moms to "keep
it simple". I'm asking other LC's today and every day to review  what little
things they say or do that conveys this message that breastfeeding is easy
and to  share their tips if you  can. If breastfeeding is to survive in
America, I think we must all work hard to convey thiis very simple message,
that breastfeeding really is, very easy for many, many moms.

Concerned for the way breastfeeding is progressing in America,
LuAnn Smith RN, IBCLC
On a beautiful,  warm,  indian summer day in York, PA