Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:17:21 EST
Hi Lactnet friends,

I can’t formally introduce myself since I’m a longtime
list member, but I
would like to update you on what I’ve been up to.  I have been
pretty silent
on the list, finding out how much time it takes to launch a new company.
After working on Milk, Money & Madness: The Culture and Politics of
Breastfeeding, I wanted to do more breastfeeding books along with children’s
books that showed slings, attachment dads, breastfeeding in public,
family
beds - you know, stuff you and I consider healthy and normal.  The
result -
Platypus Media, my new publishing company producing books for families,
teachers and parenting professionals.

I want to let you know about some of the titles.

Breastfeeding Annual International 2001 (BAI 2001) is an anthology of
current
and topical articles on many important issues in breastfeeding: medical
research; legislative; clinical; and public policy. Leading experts in
the
field of breastfeeding and human lactation including, Ruth Lawrence, MD,
Lawrence Gartner, MD, Miriam Labbok, MD, Katherine Dettwyler, Ph.D.,
Thomas
Hale, Ph.D., and Elizabeth Baldwin, Esq. contributed their knowledge and
perspective on a wide range of topics including breastfeeding and the
premature baby; medications and breastfeeding; relactation and adoptive
nursing; breastfeeding and the law; contraindications to breastfeeding,
and
night-feeding and the family bed. My favorite chapter is by Wendy Dobson,
MS,
RD, LD, called, “WIC: Promoting Breastfeeding in a Bottle-feeding
Culture.”
The book also has a wonderful resource list.

Breastfeeding At A Glance: Facts, Figures and Trivia about Lactation is a
25-page booklet filled with answers to frequently asked questions about
breastfeeding including benefits of breastfeeding for mother, baby and
community; breastfeeding rates in the U.S. and throughout the world;
information on mammal lactation and breastfeeding and the law; an
extensive
resource list and more. It was written by me and Cynthia Good Mojab, MS
with
Naomi Bromberg Bar-Yam, Ph.D. (all Lactnet junkies!).  It is fully
referenced, it has over 20 charts, tables and illustrations.

One children’s book I’d like to point out is If My Mom
Were A Platypus:
Animal Babies and Their Mothers.  Jim McKenna, Ph.D., at the University
of
Notre Dame, calls this book “an amazing achievement…
Zoologists will get
lost in the accuracy and detail of her descriptions of birth and feeding.

Children will be captivated by the beautiful pictures and stories of
mammal mother and baby pairs.”

Another children’s book to know about is Look What I See! Where
Can I Be? In
the Neighborhood, an exquisitely photographed guessing game/picture book
that
captures a young child’s daily routine in an urban neighborhood.
This book
shows an attachment family and features a mom wearing a La Leche League
logo
necklace as she (gasp…) breastfeeds in public.

I don’t mean for this to sound like a sales pitch, but I am really
excited
about the books, about starting an attachment parenting press, and about
finding ways to extend my belief that breastfeeding does not happen in a
vacuum.  If you want to find out more, check out my website -
PlatypusMedia.com (it also has a great article about Attachment Parenting
by
Cynthia Good Mojab, MS).  You can buy the books there, you can also get
them
from La Leche League, at bookstores nationwide, through Booksense.com and
Amazon.com and the Attachments catalog (attachmentscatalog.com).  There
are
discounts for people involved in education, La Leche League members and
homeschoolers, so let me know if you need details about that.

Sorry to be so long, but this has been years in the making and I’m
excited to
have news to share!

-   Dia

Dia Michels
Platypus Media
627 A Street, NE
Washington, DC  20002
Toll-free 1-877-PLATYPS (1-877-752-8977)
202-546-1674 / 202-546-2356-fax
PlatypusMedia.com