Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sara Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:24:29 -0600
My name is Sara Roy and I am a junior nursing student at the University of
North Dakota in Cindy Amerson's Childbearing Nursing II class.

In my review of the literature on breast-feeding and postpartum weight loss,
I've come across some findings that have been the basis for some questions
I'd like to ask.  Lovelady, Whitehead, McCrory, Nommsen-Rivers, Mabury, and
Dewey (1999), suggest that breastfeeding for at least 6 months postpartum
generally promotes a more rapid return to prepregnancy weight than not
breastfeeding.  In another study, Lovelady, Garner, Moreno, and Williams
(2000) conclude that if a lactating woman is overweight, a loss of up to 2
kg. Per month is unlikely to affect milk production adversely.  McCrory,
Nommsen-Rivers, Mole, Lonnerdal, and Dewey (1999), also found that
short-term weight loss through a combination of aerobic exercise and diet is
safe for breastfeeding mothers.

The questions which have arisen from these readings are, 1)  Is there any
correlation between the more rapid return to prepregnancy weight associated
with breastfeeding and the maintenance of prepregnancy weight for any
significant period of time, or does breast feeding on serve to expedite the
rate at which prepregnancy weight is reached?  2)  How does weight loss of
greater than 2 to 4 kg. Per month affect mild production, quality, and rate
and patterns of infant growth?

Thank You.

Sara Roy
Student Nurse