Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:45:14 -0500
I want to throw out something and get your opinions. I have read of the
concern about baby boys' diets of soy formulas possibly affecting their
testosterone levels, the potential for which is laid down within the first
4 months of life. THere was never a mention of girls. This concern even
made US national news about 4 years ago, then quickly disappeared.

My niece breastfed her daughter for 5 months (until Reglan sent her to the
psyc hospital for 3 weeks, with accompanying weaning).  The baby reacted to
cow's milk formula and was switched to soy. She continued with the soy
formula, moving to soy milk throughout her childhood years.

She is 9 years old now and has been showing signs of impending menstruation
for a year. Everyone is surprised. I was pondering the cause of this very
early menarche and remembered the soy "overload." I haven't mentioned this
to any of the family but am curious for myself.

I know that menarche is beginning earlier in technological countries with
possible reasons ranging from better diets to chemical bombardment. But
what do you think here?

What is the global range of normal? I have read that certain pockets of
sub-cultures have later menarche averages than the general population.

Is it true that some countries are not using soy formulas?

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]