From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:24:04 +0200
In the credentialing discussion, which I am only starting to see the tip of
the iceberg on, having been no mail for 2 wonderful weeks of sailing in
Sweden and Denmark, the listmothers wish to remind you all to stay on the
breastfeeding topic, please.  What other professions or fields have chosen
to do about regulating their practice in various localities is of interest
only as it relates to breastfeeding.

Writing as a list member now, I would like to say that I respect the
competence of anyone who is giving good help to breastfeeding mothers,
letters or no letters after their names.  I also respect the work that goes
into devising a system to ensure a minimum of accountability in the group
whose stated purpose (and sometimes livelihood) is giving good help to BF
mothers, namely the work of the international board of lactation consultant
examiners.
I can't come up with an analogy at this moment without getting into very
commercial comparisons, so I won't try, but I see it as a positive thing
that there is a credential which tells people something about what they
should expect from the person helping them, of attitudes, knowledge and
accountability.  It tells potential employers something useful as well.  I
am aware that 'IBCLC' is no guarantee of excellence, but  it gives the
client an address to send the flowers, or the cactus, to if the help is
sub-standard.  I do not in any way mean to imply that BF helpers who are not
IBCLC's are unaccountable.
Lactnet is for all of us who are interested in giving good help to
breastfeeding mothers.  It is more pleasant to use if we remember that
virtual living room, and how we would like everyone to behave there.

Good to be back, by the way!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
digging my way out from under the laundry for 6 people after 14 days on a
boat and thinking that a good bumper sticker for me would be 'I'd rather be
reading Lactnet'