Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:15:35 +0200
with regard to the sad story that Elaine wrote about the death of the 5 year old who suffered from serious allergy and asthma in spite of bf.  I am always wondering if in the end there wasn't ABM in the history of this childs infancy. I had a similar case which thank goodness did not end in death, but a mom came to me for sore nipples - baby 8 weeks old. Suspected thrush.  After we spoke about antibiotics sometimes being the cause - only then she told me that baby had been hospitalized at 2 weeks old for e-coli. I was surprised even tho' there isn't a 100% guarantee that baby wouldn't suffer from e-coli but I questioned her about the first few days and lo' and behold the baby had been given formula on day 2-3 so Mom could "rest".

After reading Marsha Walker's article re "Just one Bottle", I wanted to raise the awareness in this mom in order to prevent the same from happening in subsequent births, I mentioned the fact that even one bottle can alter the Ph and the baby's gut to that similar to babies on a diet of ABM.  She was certainly surprised. Her doctor said that the e-coli was probably  picked up in the nursery (there is not 24/7 rooming in at hospital).

Moms are not informed of the interventions taken. Did this unfortunate child  also receive ABM without the mom's knowledge in those critical first few days?  Would be interesting to check it out.  Even tho' no one can turn the clock back it certainly is the right of the parents to know. It is so sad to think of the myriad maladies that are actually being caused by outdated and interventative practices.  Just think - no nurseries - less e-coli. No e-coli - no antibiotics, no antibiotics - less thrush - In the end = this mom should have never come to me.

But, that is what we are up against. I would say that we are not in  a profession which has been medicalized. We are in a profession which is trying to un-medicalize a natural act, and unfortunately for our clients (or fortunately for us as we really love our jobs) looks like we will be around for a long time.

Ellen Shein, IBCLC, Tel Aviv