From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:01:26 -0800
Alexandra,
Cabergoline is an alternative for bromocriptine, and as you read, it is
supposed to be powerful and "irreversible." I had a mom who was also treated
with cabergoline to help induce ovulation, and she did not make much milk. I
don't know how long the effect of it should be (what does irreversible mean
in the long-term?), but I am worried about its ability to inhibit breast
development because of the inhibition of prolactin.

It is noteworthy that the mother was infertile due to hyperprolactinemia.
You might want to inquire if the grandma, who reportedly also could not make
milk, also had a history of reproductive problems. If the report is true,it
would probably be due to hormonal problems, of which your mother could also
have inherited.

Given this mom's history of cabergoline, I personally would favor starting
her on reglan or domperidone as soon as possible. Hard to say whether either
drug can in anyway counteract the cabergoline, but you can't know unless you
try. (If mother has a history of depression, domperidone is preferable) My
case mother did try domperidone with little result, but she also did not
contact me until closer to a month postpartum. I would consider the first
week critical in the given circumstances.

Lisa Marasco