Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:16:46 EST
Hello all.  Sorry I'm a bit behind on my posts, but this is in reply to
Pamela and others interested in possible early indicators of autism and their
link to feeding behaviors.

We have to keep in mind, of course, that all feeding problems are not linked
to autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and that we're only talking about possible
ways to help identify children at risk.  That said, behaviors such as failing
to make eye contact during the feed, hypertonicity, aversion to touch,
sucking problems (especially difficulty starting to suck and maintaining
sucking during a feed), and sensory integration issues as they relate to
feeding are all behaviors that I feel might be linked to ASD.  Mothers have
also said that their babies who are later diagnosed with autism were
extremely difficult babies, or, conversely, extremely placid babies.

Thanks to everyone on Lactnet who have been so supportive of me in my new
direction.  I have appreciated all of your messages, both on list and
private.  It's great to have so many people interested in what I'm doing!

Barbara Ash, IBCLC
Canberra Australia