From:
Paula Litton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 23:46:47 EDT
I need some help. I received a call tonight on our Breastfeeding Helpline
from a mother of a 5-week old who has been slow to gain weight. The
pediatrician believes her milk is too low in calories. From speaking to her,
I believe it may be a supply issue, but for now the doctor has advised her to
feed ABM only and to pump. The baby may be hospitalized tomorrow. There are
more details to this and I gave her a list of suggestions, but my primary
question is this: I told her the caloric content of her milk can be
determined by a creamatocrit, but the lab in the hospital I work in does not
do this. I called the lab at our local Children's Hospital and they do not do
this nor could they find any lab in our area (Central Ohio) that does. Does
anyone know of a lab where this test is performed? Thanks for any help.
Paula, RNC, IBCLC