From:
Marian Rigney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:52:42 +1000
Sharon Knorr wrote
<for myself, I see the IBCLC designation as being much more specific than=
  it is now, requiring advanced learning including many of the topics that=
  we discuss here on Lactnet.  I think that an IBCLC should have in-depth=
  knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the mother and infant,=
  including the kind of stuff that OTs who specialize in infant feeding=
  learn.>

I have to agree with the essence of what Sharon wrote.  I am not an IBCLC
(YET) but am actively working towards this qualification.  As I only started
doing "in depth" study on the topic of lactation earlier this year I decided
to leave sitting the exam until I have  thorough theoretical grounding on
all aspects of lactation (and this means adding to the 100s of hours study I
have already done--lactation is a vast topic!!) To this end I have taken
several subjects in Denise Fisher's excellent internet lactation course
--BreastEd as well as searching extensively for all Breastfeeding sites I
can find on the net, reading Riordan and Auchbach, accessing Medical,
Nursing and other Journals for the latest information and research articles
and lurking on the Lactnet and reading the posts daily.  I literally have
accumulated and read a pile of material 3 foot high and I am rather
surprised by the minimum CERPs requirements of 30 hours to sit the exam. If
there was a suitable university course, the available material could easily
cover several subjects.

I am a registered nurse working in a Special Care Nursery and am actively
using the information gained to improve my knowledge base and improve the
care I give to the mothers and babies. My improved knowledge is integrally
linked with my nursing work and that is the environment I will continue to
practise in because I love my current job--it not an either or situation and
I will be practically combining both.  I will continue to see myself
primarily as a RN with advanced lactation skills second.

When I finally do get the ILCLC letters after my name it is not my intention
to enter private practice or work exclusively as a lactation consulatant and
this is the situation with a large number of RNs who continue to work in the
hospital environment.  IBCLC it is valuable qualification and the knowledge
gained enhances their everyday nursing practice eg. on a daily basis I am
discussing the advantages of breastfeeding with mothers of premature babies
as well as practically demonstrating and assisting them with expression and
breast feeding--it is part of the total care of the mother-infant dynad,
just as important as the IVs, medications etc.  My opinion or my pride in my
nursing background  is not intented to denigrate IBCLCs who work exclusively
as lactation consultants and do not necessarily come from a nursing
background--but I believe it behoves them as professionals to have a sound
knowledge base to be able to communicate effectively with other health care
professionals, Although this knowledge base can be gained by the extensive
reading and the professional development most lactation consultants
participate in, I believe, a tertiary qualification in lactation (in
addition to the practical hours) is probably the way of the future and will
give the profession more credibility.
Marian Rigney RN