From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:11:02 -0700
I think the push for RN / IBCLC arises from hospital preferences and
insurance company reimbursement decisions.  In my hospital I am one of 3
IBCLCs.  The one RN/ IBCLC is designated the Lead even though I've had my
IBCLC longer - if that matters at all.  She just completed her 5-year
re-cert and I'm due to sit the exam again in 2003.  She has been an L&D
nurse for many years and respect her knowledge and competence.  I am not
fighting her for the "Lead".  That was put upon her by the Admin. and she's
not thrilled with it.

As we continue to investigate our options for reimbursement for consults,
pumps for NICU moms, etc, we are hearing comments from Admin that the RN /
IBCLC will have to 'sign off' on all documentation by the non-RN / IBCLCs to
make our work more acceptable for reimbursement by the inc co's.  I don't
know if that is based in fact or just the continual defensive thinking that
Admin engages in daily.  It has not been put into practice yet and we are
arguing against it on the basis that the IBCLC is sufficient by itself.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC

 I am a little confused about the use of RN/IBCLC.

The IBCLC credential stands on its own, doesn't it? ...  I want
us to be careful to establish the LC profession as a profession of its own,
not a sub-specialty of maternal child health nursing.

-Debi Page Ferrarello, rn, ms, IBCLC