From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:33:31 -0400
I think that the reason a lot of people and dads want to bottle feed a new
baby is because they don't know what else to do with it!  If you are giving
the baby a bottle, at least you have something to focus on "doing" with the
baby.

Many new parents I come into contact with have no experience with babies.
They don't have younger siblings, haven't babysat, and may be among the
first in their social group to be having children.  They are independant in
their own little nuclear family and don't have much contact with extended
family.  They are afraid of that baby.

It is important for us to continue to teach other types of bonding
behaviors:  holding, rocking, talking, dancing, bathing, changing,
snuggling, etc.  I always tell new dads that it doesn't matter what they say
to the baby, he/she just wants to hear Dad's voice.  They can take the baby
out to the garage, lift the hood of the car, and explain how the engine
works - the baby won't care about the message, but he will care that dad is
holding him and paying attention to him.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York