Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:48:26 -0600
Sharon, the heat is bad!  I share you thoughts a bit.... when I started
educating myself on lactation, independently of LLLI, I never did it with
money in mind.  And when I decided to go to school to become a midwife, I
didn't think I was going make money, I was happy, I thought if I could make
enough to pay for my schooling and to maybe take my dh and I out to the
movies once a month.

I think that if we focus on the money making aspect then we are missing the
point.  Now don't flame me for that, but here is my general belief.... want
to make money, be an RN or a doc and then an IBCLC second.  If you want to
be in private practice, don't do it for money, or expect money to be the end
all be all.  If I wanted money from my midwifery career I would have gone to
school to be a CNM, or an OB for that matter.

As a private practice counselor and soon to be private practice midwife, I
allow my clients to pay me in trade, I allow them to write me ten checks
that equal my $30 fee if they need to or I don't ask for payment at all from
those who can't afford it.

All that being said, yes, I am lucky, my dh makes great money and is content
to let me help women without asking for $$ in return.  I guess sometimes we
need to ask ourselves this... "if I had known before I wanted to be an IBCLC
that the earnings were meager, would I have still done it??"  If you answer
is no then why are you still doing it.  Paychecks of the heart and soul are
much bigger and can't be cashed by any bank.

If I wanted to make money, I wouldn't have walked away from my Mary Kay
career, but it was my Mary Kay career that made me realize just how much I
enjoyed counseling women.  The face and the breasts aren't that far apart!

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
Student Midwife
Alternative Medicine Counselor in Training
Childbirth Educator
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and