From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:02:17 -0400
"The discussion has been interesting but I've yet to see much in the way
of
argument put forward to support the idea that increasing professionalism
of
the IBCLC is better for breastfeeding women and babies?"

Karleen,

I think this was the point of my earlier post on specialization. As a
general rule, health care specialization is not a benefit to healthy
people. It tends to slice people up like pies and to result in
fragmentation of care. I join you in asking the question "How will this
help moms and babies?"

Of course, one can always argue that certifications and licenses are
tools designed to protect the public. That is true enough. They are
designed for that purpose. But, here in the US, one can equally well
argue that they don't work that way, but rather limit access and choice.
That would certainly be true as well. Midwifery, as you suggest,
illustrates the strongest case in point.

I wish that increasing professionalization were an easy answer to all
our woes. It just isn't that simple. Nothing is, unless you have a very
powerful lobby that can pay to have your profession singled out as THE
only one that can legally practice in your region.... that might work.

Susan Keith-Hergert RNC, MS, IBCLC, PLA, CIBI
Holistic Natal Care
Cincinnati, Ohio