Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:18:52 -0400
I just wanted to say a collective thank you to all who responded both
onlist and off.  I
have been able to give mom a "game plan" she is willing to follow through
with and seems
happy I have found some options for her.  I will let you know how she is
doing on follow up.
Currently she now understands about the rareity of true Lactose
Intolerance.  She knows her
baby wouldn't be thriving the way she is if she really did have this
problem and it would have
been from birth.  Diane, I did present her options as the 4 step plan you
emailed to me
as it seemed to make sense not to muddy the waters by doing everything at
once.  So for now, she is just eliminating the lactofree and getting the
baby back to breast.  One side for 6 hours (or longer) before offering
the other side.  Hopefully this will help to correct any
foremilk/hindmilk imbalance thereby adjusting the lactose exposure and
maybe tamp her supply down a bit.  She is nervous about offering straight
breastmilk again as the baby was doing better on the lactofree artificial
milk or the expressed BM with lactase.  But she really does want to
breastfeed.  Does understand the long term effects of lactofree are not
certain.  I also told her if she wants to offer any expressed milk to
skim the fat layer off the top and offer that as it has more fat and less
lactose.  She agreed.  Chris (thank you) I gave her the option of
offering NSP homeopathic colic drops or using mylicon drops if things
start to get hairy especially at night when everyone can be too tired to
cope.   If this doesn't seem to be working next step will be to REALLY
eliminate dairy from her diet.  So well just wait and see.  Thanks again!