From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:24:48 +0200
Thanks, Sandra, for sharing your story, and congratulations on the birth of
your son!
There are anecdotal reports of using infants to augment or induce labor in
women other than their mothers, and my own daughter, then one month old, was
lent to another woman in my childbirth class when her membranes ruptured at
term and 18 hours had passed with no sign of labor.  The pregnant woman came
to my house, as my daughter was always obliging about suckling on any breast
she was offered (and even tried noses, cheeks, and upper arms when those
were available).  About 15 minutes into it, the first contraction came,
followed by another 5 minutes later.  Baby was taken off the breast, and
after the next contraction the woman got a faraway look in her eye and said
'I think I want to go home now.'  She did (as was the plan) and contractions
continued until the birth of her own daughter about 8 hours later.  It was
her first baby, and no other augmentation was needed after that original
kick-start.  Yea, oxytocin!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
PS The childbirth classes were GOOD- not only were we prepared to take
responsibility for our own labors, we had such a good network that this
woman didn't hesitate to call me and ask for help, and I also found my first
sitter there, who even breastfed my daughter in my absence if that was
called for.  Need I add the class was community-based?