From:
Diana Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:30:20 -0400
Hello everybody,
I discovered a cleft of the soft palate in an infant when the mom came in
for help with breastfeeding...the mom opted to pump and feed with a
Haberman, finding it too frustrating to feed the baby who kept coming off
and on, off and on...now the baby is 4 months old, doing quite well, and the
mom is getting ready to go back to work as a college professor. She now
wants to try to get the baby to go to the breast, because she is sick of
pumping. She will have her baby in her office in the afternoons. She has
tried to put the baby to breast, but the baby just cries and pulls away.  I
told her to start with skin to skin, feed when baby not too hungry, see how
it goes. Hopefully with time, the baby has grown and the cleft filled in a
bit, as it is my understanding that they do. Any suggestions? My experience
in the past is that it just wouldn't work, or the moms of babies with clefts
gave up out of worry, so I don't have any sucessful experiences to draw
from. Can anyone share some positive experiences to relay to this mom. She
just needs to know that it is "do-able" and have some concrete suggestions.
TIA, Diana in stormy, hot, humid SC where the yeast is rampant!