From:
Mandi Porta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:34:43 -0400
I would like to see if anyone out their would know of any families who
would like to tell their story about the challenges they have faced in
trying to work and breastfeed.
I am a member of the San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition and we are
currently awarding three companies in our area with awards for their
support of their lactating families.  We have decided it would be a good
idea to do a story that contrasts experience with breastfeeding at these
companies against a back drop of what other families have been forced to
face in the workforce.  But I need some families with good stories, who
would be willing to share what they have had to experience.  I am looking
for families who have either had to pump in the bathroom, weren't allowed
breaks, or forced to wean in order to contiue working.  I also would be
interested in any examples of women who when faced with a breastfeeding
unfriendly workplace chose to leave their career or changed to a more
breastfeeding friendly one.
I hope to publish in one of our local papers and it will be posted on our
website www.breastfeeding.org at minimum.  I have greater aspirations as
well but I will not jinx myself just yet:).
I will protect anyone who just wishes to share their story but not their
name.  In fact if you email me privately I can give them a 1800 number to
call and they will not have to tell me their name just their story.  But if
they choose to share.  I will be happy to print what they will allow.
Thank you very much for your consideration.
My email is [log in to unmask]
Mandi Porta, RN, IBCLC

In Sunny, San Diego California