From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:32:34 -0700
One (of MANY) things that stood out in this article was the fact that 4-5
women were in one room, and the babies stayed with the mothers, mostly in
their own beds.  Would that we could do this in the USA.  I work at a
hospital that is older (40+ years is old here) and we have 4 moms to a room.
It's my understanding that JCAHO, the govt organization that certifies
hospitals, doesn't allow rooming in (babies staying with their mothers 24
hours) if there are more than 2 mothers to a room.  It's a security issue
for the babies.  It's a privacy issue for the mothers, even though we have
movable curtains around each bed.  There are probably other reasons that
JCAHO would object to.  At least that's what my Admin says.  I have not seen
this in any official JCAHO writing.  Can anyone comment on this?

Also, just TRY to tell our medical staff that babies don't NEED mom's milk
(or formula) at first, that baby only needs mom and whatever colostrum he
can extract.  Just try to tell our medical staff that colostrum will cure a
baby's fever of unknown origin!  Here, baby would face a Rule Out Sepsis
workup and often gets lots of formula in the process.  Then mom would be
sent home in 24 to 48 hours and baby would stay another day or so for the
ROS lab tests to come back.  We all know what wonderful things that does for
the breastfeeding process!

Doe anyone know if they less fearful of jaundice, of hypoglycemia, of 10%
weight loss, etc in Oman than we are here in the US?  Or do they not see so
much of these problems because of their practice of keeping baby with mom
and expecting her to breastfeed ad-lib from birth?  Do they expect the same
attention to breastfeeding by their C/S mothers?  In my hosp, the majority
of nursing staff assume that mom is too tired & in too much pain to even
consider breastfeeding in the first day, unless mom insists, and few do.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC