From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:05:22 -0400
I have a lazy way to include LC-wannabes in learning sessions (not the
mentoring Barbara asked about, more of a first step).  Starting a couple
years ago, a small interested group would take one of my general information
files (say, adoption or pumping or nursing strike), xerox the contents, and
come over in the evening, sans mobile kids, to discuss it.  I'd leaf through
the folder as we talked, commenting on articles, describing old cases or
conference sessions, answering questions.  I didn't have to prepare for the
sessions, it was a chance to prune deadwood from my files and discover
tidbits I'd forgotten, and it made a nice, casual, on-the-floor-with-popcorn
evening.

At the end of the evening, I kept that file, the group took another of their
choice (the first thing I did was make up a handout listing all the topics
in my file drawers), and we set a date to meet 2 weeks later.

We stopped doing this when several babies were born and people's priorities
changed, but we've just started again.  Some have a goal of taking the exam,
others just want to increase their knowledge base.  And all I have to do is
make the popcorn and reminisce!

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com