Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:44:55 EDT
The Mom and baby that I have been working with gave in to the MD. He told the mom he would discharge the baby from the hospital on a NG tube if she would agree to give soy formula. She was so tired and beat down she agreed. The baby threw up the first four feedings,and had no weight gain. The  mom felt that if she
could just get home, she could maybe do what she felt is best.
The hospital did not even try the creamatocrit, using a SNS, or any of my suggestions, other then using expressed milk in the NG tube. The baby gained a total of 12 oz in the 8 days in the hospital. The MD wants a minimum weight gain of 7 oz a week from now on.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC