From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 04:24:23 EDT
Jo-Anne wrote:
<< Many of us feel quite strongly about the importance of our volunteer
 work. In fact, the IBCLC designation grew out of a tradition of service.

And I feel strongly that the RN/IBCLC of the future needs to continue to grow
out of that tradition of service or volunteerism in order to be recognized by
the public as a fee-for-service profession.  I'm not trying to be
disrespectful of the many volunteers in organizations such as La Leche
League.  Mother-to-mother support groups and league leaders are absolutely a
valued aspect of breastfeeding.  However, the RN/IBCLC role is different than
the league leader, and in the public eye, the RN/IBCLC is held liable for her
licensure differently than a volunteer leader.  Therefore, the accountability
is indeed different.  If a league leader in my state gives breastfeeding
advice to a mother and as a result of mother's misperceptions, the baby
becomes dehydrated and hospitalized, the leader will not be found at fault at
the same level as the RN in the same situation.  There is a legal difference
that our profession needs to define for and educate for the public. Again,
speaking about our profession's future has nothing to do with disregard for
the traditions of the past.  But, if we keep saying "we began as volunteers"
and don't charge for our services, then as Debi said, the young people will
not enter the field and be able to remain as LC's for very long.  Our
profession will not advance....
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services
Geneva, Il  - presently pursuing incorporating my practice, which costs big
$$, so I have to charge for my services to afford the incorporating process.
Why do I need to incorporate?  Because I'm an RN, if I were to get sued for
my services rendered as an IBCLC, my personal belongings (house, cars,
savings) are at jeopardy.  But, if I incorporate, then only the business can
legally be jeopardized.  Quite a different scenario than the functions of a
volunteer.