From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:57:30 +1000
OK, well I'm not a HCP, IBCLC, or volunteer counsellor but this statement
made me wonder.
What is it that is the most important for the IBCLC lactation consultant
profession to be advanced or for other HCPs such as Drs support and provide
good information about breastfeeding, for our society as a whole to become
more knowledgeable about breastfeeding and for our cultures to be changed so
that breastfeeding becomes normal and more women breastfeed their babies and
for longer? Is it necessary for IBCLCs to be paid better for that to happen?

I've been reading a book called Dumbing us Down by John Taylor Gatto- not
about breastfeeding at all but education. Anyway there is a quote from it
that I think is relevent. "Nearly a century ago a French sociologist wrote
that every institution's unstated first goal is to survive and grow NOT to
undertake the mission it has nominally staked out for itself."

Is the mission being lost here?

Karleen Gribble
Australia

Again,