From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:29:17 -0700
I would like to second MD Gail Hertz' comments regarding recognition by
pediatric offices of breastfeeding benefits.

My daughters each had one ear infection as babies, also avoidable as it
was from a baby swimming lesson and getting water in the ear canal.
Otherwise, they only went to the pediatrician for their immunizations.
The eldest did have one shot of antibiotic for scarlet fever when she
was about 8.  Staff always commented that it had been "years" since the
previous visit of either girl, and I would beam.  Wouldn't pediatric
offices be more available for low income, medical coupon and special
needs children care, if nearly everyone breastfed?

Containment of cost is such a large part of insurance industry practice,
they should offer lower rates for breastfed children just as they do for
non-smokers.  An insurance company should be urged to offer just that,
offer a reduced rate or a rebate.  An actuary must have these figures
somewhere!  This is the angle to get more women to breastfeed.  It
always comes down to saving money.  We certainly saved our insurance
money!

Plus it really helped that neither my husband nor I were having to make
arrangements to take time from work to go doctoring, or getting someone
to sit a sick child, as we were both working outside of the home.  Once
my second was in school fulltime, I was commuting 30 miles each way
daily.
Judy Ritchie