From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:40:22 EDT
In the past week I did listened to two different recordings of Das Lied von
Der Erde the recent Boulez and Klemperer.

I found myself really enjoying the Boulez.  As is often the case with
this conductor, you hear the score with fresh ears.  Yes, as is often a
criticism of Boulez, this recording didn't tug at your heart like others
but the sound and the playing of the VPO took my breath away.  I recall
that some reviewers were very critical of this recording but I would
heartily recommend it as a supplement to other classic recordings.
There are many classic recordings of this piece to choose from.

The other recording I listened to was Klemperer's.  This is one of those
classic recordings that never seems to go out of print.  My one criticism
is that to my ears it seemed to be mixed with the orchestra lurking in the
background and I found myself straining to hear the accompaniment behind
the vocalists.  Has anybody else noticed this? If so, does the more recent
"Great Recordings..." reissue sound better?

I now find myself giving the prize of my favorite D.L.V.D.E.  to....(wait
for it) ...Raymond Leppard.  Yes, I have heard the Horenstein but if I was
to pick one desert island disk it would probably be the Leppard as the all
around winner for sound, performance and vocalists.  However, definitely
give the Boulez a shot if you haven't heard it yet IMHO.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)