From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:48:39 EDT
Mary,
You wrote:
"The mother has already done her own research on 5-HTP. However, I need data
 on safety during lactation. Her second baby is due in a few months. I
 cannot in good conscience tell her to use the drug unless I have published
 data on it's safety. This is what I can't find."

I agree that you cannot recommend something w/o more info. OTOH, 5-HTP is not a drug and even though you cannot recommend it (nor would I, as I am not a doctor), it does not mean she or any other mom might not feel comfortable enough about it to use it w/o a Hale's monograph.

" I have seen the failure in practice and theoretical dangers of St. John's
 Wort and I feel a little uncomfortable with yet an other "cure all""

I do not think 5-HTP or SJW are cure-alls. However, SJW is also completey safe to take during lactation, but it appears that 5-HTP may be better for many people.

" when we
 have safe theraputic drugs like Zoloft and Paxil that we have plenty of
 published data available on."

Even though these drugs are considered safe while nursing, they cannot be considered harmless. They do have side-effects and they have the risk or dependency. I think it is so important that we have good information now that women who are taking these drugs can be confident that they can bf their babies. That does not mean, however, that we should be so complacent about the overuse of such drugs in our culture, esp when so much research in nutrition indicates that malnourishment (not necessarily the same as being underfed) is a major factor in depression.

"The mother is free to do what she wants, however, she will not take the
 5HTP without safety data (smart mom) and I needed to find the info SHE
 asked for. She is comfortable considering allopathic meds if we cannot find
 safety and efficacy info for nursing moms on her first choice medication."

I am not sure that a mom who made a different choice would not be "smart". Either way, I have emailed Dr. Murray and left a message for a naturopath locally to get some onfo on this. I did ask an MD herbalist yesterday and she referred me to the naturopath. I am actually very glad you brought this whole issue up  b/c I think we do, as a culture, need to find better ways to treat mothers with various levels of depression.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA