From:
Wanda Mertick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:17:07 -0400
I encourage you all to read the draft position statements on
cup/fingerfeeding in NICUs that the National Association of Neonatal Nurses
(NANN) has posted on the internet for feedback:
http://www.nann.org/public/articles/details.cfm?id=203

They state quite clearly that "the existing scientific data are insufficient
to either support or refute implementation of the practices of cup and
finger feeding of expressed breast milk to newborns, especially to preterm
infants", yet they are coming out with a position statement
AGAINST cup/finger feeding of preemies.  Interestingly, they are using the
same argument (for lack of a better term) with respect to co-bedding
multiples.

I encourage you to respond to their request for feedback.  My reply to them
is, why make a position statement about something for which there is no
evidence to refute the practices?  I must admit I also thought about the
authors of the position statements and what their personal agendas are for
coming out with such a statement.

Wanda Mertick, RN, MN, IBCLC
Madison, WI