From:
Anne Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:35:42 EDT
I know this has been discussed in the past.  About two years ago I was due
for my mammogram, but was breastfeeding my 3 1/2 year old.  I needed
treatment for recurrent ductal yeast, so that was why the (female) doctor
knew I was breastfeeding.  Everyone made a really big deal about me still
breastfeeing.
They said the mammogram could not be read if I was breastfeeding.  I
explained that I was only nursing a couple of times a day and how could they
be sure until they tried.
  It was such a fiasco and I was so miffed!  I basically said I was not
leaving until I had the mammogram.  After it was over, the tech came out in a
very curt like fashion and said, " Well, I don't know why you are nursing,
there isn't even any milk in there!"  I smiled, they had a mammogram they
could read and I had made my point, if only they had asked my son, he would
have told them there was still all the milk he wanted in there.
   I love the fact that I have given myself many gifts by breastfeeding,
including the reduced chances of having breast cancer.  Yes, everyone should
be asking the "Big B" question before mammograms, Jan.  What great data we
could have from all over the country.
Anne Williams
Pensacola, Florida