Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:05:49 -0500
>The mother of a six week old is considering weaning because of severe
>oversupply issues.  Her baby gulps, chokes and pulls off from the breast and
>then becomes angry about being sprayed by milk.
>
>This mom has tried nursing on one breast only at a feeding for two weeks
>now.  Baby is thriving.
>
>What herbal remedies and in what doses might be recommended?

Parsley, sagusing sage is that the mother take 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day
until she notices a marked reduction in her supply. This small amount can
be put on the corner of a piece of bread with something sticky on it, the
corner torn off and swallowed without chewing, then the mouth cleared with
juice.  Or one can get gelatin capsules at a health food store.

Parsley and peppermint can be chewed or ingested anyway she chooses.

This is, of course, coupled with feeding one breast for 4-12 hours.  She
relieves the other breast as needed, but not over-doing it.

Also, if she has a leaking problem (which most of my serious oversupply
clients do), I have found that the BLIS (Breastmilk Leakage Inhibitor
System) is very effective. I have had three clients in the past year who
were ready to stop breastfeeding until they used the above treatments along
with the BLIS. All three have adequate milk supplies now (just right for
ONE baby) and are so happy to be continuing breastfeeding.

They found that before they began "inhibiting" the leaking they would leak
enough at a given feeding from the unused breast to feed another infant. So
the intervals didn't help. The antigalactagogues were of help also.

The BLIS can be attained from Lansinoh at 800-292-4794 or Prolac Co.
888-410-2547. It costs about $30 I think and I have had no one fail to
order one because of cost.

I just did a spell check on this post and "antigalactagogue" was challenged
and the first suggested correction was "intergalactic." Maybe the creators
or the spell check is a Treckie.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]