Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 18:03:29 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I was just wondering this the other day, and of course it would depend on the mom.  I belong to a play group where there is a mom that is still nursing her 6 year old.  Something that is JUST fine with me, no problems with it at all.  Usually when I think of extended nursing, I think of toddlers and preschoolers who only nurse a couple times a day, not  moms that chase them around asking them to nurse.  I think this can have an impact on whether or not a child is codependent.  I have witnessed this mom asking her older child if he wants to nurse, and again, while I don't have a problem with him nursing in general, I wonder at what point do we just let them be and not ask them?  Personally I am nursing two.. my 2.3 year old and my 4 month old, darn if it's not hard work!  I certainly can't even imagine chasing the 2 yo around and begging him to nurse.

any thoughts on this issue?  I would never tell this mom to stop, I just wonder at what point do we stop asking??

oh and a side note... the whole gum chewing thing didn't work here... my Oyo begs for a gum ball and then begs to nurse. lol.  it's easier to just let him have both... not at the same time though.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
Student Midwife
Alternative Medicine Counselor in Training
Childbirth Educator
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and
Elleanor who changed my soul.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2