From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 08:37:41 -0400
Reading all the *wonderful* posts about guilt made me think:  We need more
names for it, as the Eskimos supposedly have lots and lots of names for
snow.  Part of the problem, when we talk about guilt, is its many forms.
Imposed by others ("Aren't you ashamed of yourself") it induces anger and
resentment toward the imposer.  Or denial.  Self-imposed ("I really
should..."), it can be motivating.  Or paralyzing.  And so on.  So when one
person talks about guilt, s/he may be talking about a facet of it that's
entirely different from what another person is thinking.

Michael Young, a (female) MD in Washington, DC, told a story that I don't
really remember, except that it involved a new mother who wanted to
bottle-feed railing against the MD for giving her all this information that
she didn't want to hear.  She stormed into the doctor's office later that
day, still angry, saying she was breastfeeding because now she couldn't
stand not to.

I'm not sure how many emotions swirled around in that shift in behavior, but
I know it was more than one.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com