HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Your Name <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:50:12 -0500
Joan G. wrote:

>That is interesting about thyme growing in cemeteries. I would have
expected
>Rosemary, which is for remembrance.

That's true but rosemary is not hardy in most climates, particularly in
areas with a winter season.  It'll survive one season at best.  Thyme is
almost impossible to kill and behaves like a weed in my Michigan
garden.  Mints are also persistent (I'm trying to be nice here).

Daylilies are also a persistent perennial found in house sites, though
since they naturalize easily, I'd be cautious relying on them.  Tulip
bulbs are, as someone mentioned, also not reliably hardy, though all
members of the narcissus family (narcissus, daffodils and jonquils) will
survive and would be good markers.  Other small bulb plants are
persistent and would be good markers too  - hyacinth, crocus, and the
like.

In general, I'd be cautious about using violets, thyme, or other
easily-naturalizing plants as they will show up en masse far from the
original planting.  I have some ajuga (ground cover) on my property
growing happily about 2000 feet from their original planting site.

Shrubs can also be great markers.  Several flowering shrubs don't
generally appear in the wild - most of the daphnes, the viburnums, and
syringias.  These were used a lot in 19th-early 20th C landscaping,
don't know about earlier times, sorry.

.