HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dave McMahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:48:17 -0800
Anita,

If all you want to do is plot proveniences on a map, there are some cheap
alternatives to GIS.  For plotting site locations on USGS maps, I routinely
use AllTopo, which uses packaged map files on a set of CDs (around $100).  For
site-specific maps, engineers' maps, etc. a program called Fugawi (also around
$100) will allow you to scan any map you might already have (provided you can
define 3 locations for calibration) and plot data.  SURFER (around $400?) will
allow you to produce pretty good site maps with provenience plots -- but has a
bit of a learning curve).  For simply plotting proveniences within an X/Y grid
(with no base map), you can use some of the spreadsheet and graphing
programs.  Hope this helps.

Dave McMahan