HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dave McMahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:08:20 -0900
I am currenly analyzing a collection of early 19th century lead fur bale
seals from Castle Hill, the colonial headquarters of the
Russian-American Company.  These seals (similar technologically to those
from ancient Roman and Byzantine context) were embossed with secret
codes to indicate the source/quality of furs.  They were then used to
secure and tamper-proof the bales.  My question to the group is:  Was
the use of bale seals standard practice in the fur trade?  I know that
they were used in the textile industry -- and probably others -- but I
am interested specifically in finding analogs/examples in the fur
trade.  I would appreciate any insights.  Thanks.

Dave McMahan