HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:35:17 +1100
Iain wrote [in part]

"I am not sure why we Australians should measure the success or
otherwise of our historical archaeology work by its acceptance by US
historical archaeologists"

I agree that we shouldn't judge our work's value by overseas acceptance
or not, and that was not the thrust of the original posting.  What is
important for Australia's <100 active / interested historical
archaeologists is to make sure that they do not isolate themselves from
the international context of their work, and to get information on how
it currently does / not work.  Where it is appropriate, are our research
reports / journals / brilliant ideas being made accessible to the widest
possible audience, including any members of the Idaho Archaeological
Survey living at the bottom of an ICBM silo?  If not, why not?

The International Journal of HA is one attempt to move the study of our
subject away from a de facto US-centric view, as is the forthcoming
Australian volume of Historical Archaeology.  Getting stuff into print
is a critical first step, but getting the material read and used and
incorporated into broader research that is useful is more important.

There are no questions about the inherent quality of Australian HA, but
that should be an incentive to using the literature.  Relevance works
both ways, and I think US archaeologists would be surprised sometimes at
the sorts of grab-bag theory we take and try to wedge onto Australian
archaeology.

Denis Gojak
Heritage Asset Manager
planningNSW