HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:46:34 +1100
Of course many have forgotten that the Australian Heritage Commission
attempted to capture much of the "grey" literature in the HERA database
accessible, on line through the Environment Australia library (ea.gov.au I
think). I am not sure whether HERA is still being up-dated or not but it is
a good reference point.

To continue Denis's thread (as we are getting off the point) I am not sure
why we Australian's should measure the success or otherwise of our
historical archaeology work by its acceptance by US historical
archaeologists who after all have different research agendas (mainly about
toilets it seems). While there are obvious points of crossover and shared
research agendas (eg mining) to get concerned that Australasian Historical
Archaeology is not the favourite reading in the Idaho Archaeological Survey
says more about the psyche of Australian historical archaeologists than it
does about the quality of their work.

yours

Dr Iain Stuart
Principal, Archaeology and Heritage Management
HLA-Envirosciences Pty. Ltd.
P.O. Box 726
Pymble, NSW 2073
Australia