From:
Diane V Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:44:33 -0400
I am a lactation consultant working in a community health setting in
Southern Alberta.  I have women referred to me both postnatally and
prenatally.  I have a mom who has given me permission to ask about her
situation.  She is due this month and has Addison's Disease.  In talking
with other LC's in the area and through the little bit of reading I have
been able to do I understand that it is not common for women with Addison's
Disease to conceive and have children.
She is excited about this new event in her life and wants to breastfeed her
baby.  She is now taking some medications to manage the disease and all 3
medications are compatible with breastfeeding, according to the notes in
Medications in Mother's Milk by Thomas Hale.
Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation?  I would appreciate
any informaton you could give to me on working with this mom and helping
her to have a successful/rewarding breastfeeing experience.  I have looked
in the archives, but found no references there.

Diane Hill, RN, IBCLC