From:
Jodi Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 01:04:49 -0400
"I had a mother call me a few days ago asking if it is okay to use
aromatherapy oils while breastfeeding.  The only one that rang a bell was
sage, but if not taken internally would it or any others affect milk supply
or be contraindicated?"

From what I can read right at the moment Common Sage (Salvia officianlais)
is contra-indicated in cases of high blood pressure, is an oral toxin (due
to thujone), is an abortifacientd, should be avoided during pregnancy and in
cases of epilepsy.   (The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by
Julia Lawless. Element Books, Shaftesbury, Dorset 1995  pg 212.)

As for the use of other essential oils,  there are too many to go through
at once and would be best to investigate each oil prior to use or consult a
Certified Aromatherapist ( oh my ... not the certification discussion
again! )   If any oils are to be used on the nipples for increase of or
decrease of milk supply, the breast must be thoroughly cleansed with soap
and water prior to breastfeeding.

By-the-way FYI .. oils to increase the flow of milk are fennel (1.
relatively non-toxic, used for insufficient milk supply) geranium (2.
non-toxic, great for engorgement, balances hormones) or clary sage (3.
non-toxic but avoid in pregnancy) to be use externally in a massage.  (The
Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless. Element Books,
Shaftesbury, Dorset 1995 (1. pg 145  2. pg 190  3. pg 213)

Hope this helps!

Jodi Barnard (whose friend named her daughter Clary (after clary sage) as it
induced her overdue and long awaited labour)
Ladner, British Columbia