From:
Lynette Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 20:08:22 -0400
I worked for the American Red Cross for 5 years, in the blood
"manufacturing" (I always thought it was a strange concept) laboratory.
Quite honestly, from the point of view of an insider, we usually had more
confidence in the integrety of general donations, rather than directed
donations.  A general donor (usually) has nothing to gain by donating blood,
other than a good feeling for having helped someone else, some pretty lousy
juice and a donut or two.  Sure there are reports of people who donate
simply to have free testing done, but they are not that common.  I certainly
wouldn't face up to a 16 guage needle, just for a free blood test.  On the
other hand, a directed donor may feel pressured to donate by friends or
family members, and they may not exclude themself or reveal information that
could possibly cause them to be deferred.  In addition, if a woman of
childbearing age receives a tranfusion, she may potentially develope immune
antibodies to antigens in the donor unit.  Supposing that a spouse gave
blood to his wife, that could potentially have serious implications for any
subsequent pregnancies.

I too think it is sad that they insisted upon the transfusion, but I know
that some physicians will give the order to transfuse based upon hemoglobin
and hematocrit levels alone.  When my first child was born, I suffered a
placental abruption.  Things were "exciting" for a while as he was "hurried
out" and I went into shock.  The next day, I was informed that I had lost a
lot of blood and should have a transfusion.  I refused, and within a month
showed no signs of anemia.  However, I felt great the day after my son was
born.  Had I been dizzy, or experiencing shortness of breath, or any other
symptions of severe blood loss, I would have agreed to the transfusion.
FWIW, the hemorrhage didn't affect my milk supply either, if anything, I had
an oversupply.

Pat's was right in her two choices of either trusting the system or weaning.
In the end, the mother has to decide if the small risk of having contracted
a disease via a blood transfusion makes weaning essential, or if the
benefits of breastfeeding outweigh those risks.

Lynette (MLT, ASCP and LLL LA)