Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:43:08 -0400
Sorry to hear of Anne's experience, but the good news is change may be
happening within the military. I am a Lactation Consultant ( civilian) who
works for a major Army medical center. As far as we know, mine is the first
position that has a GS code as a LC and the hours did not come from
a "nursing" budget. I also have presented one early abstract on our
facilities support of breastfeeding active duty soldiers who are seperated
from their infant during field duty . Thanks to very supportive commands
all mothers expressed milk was transported daily  back to post for
caretakers to pick up, preventing use of ABM or undesired weaning.. Our
mom's understand the mission requirements of being in the service and with
support like this can also meet their mothering goals in many cases.
I also was active duty and 25 years ago breastfed my first and then second
child while I was in the service...never hit one lick of problem with my
choice during any of my assignments...
Also, Ft. Irwin in California is a Baby Friendly documented facility..has
been for at least 1-2 years that I know of.
Lastly, remember, the US Surgeon General is also OUR boss and the "BLue
Print for Action" will greatly affect future changes in the military.