From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 14:18:23 +1000
I personally think that this study (which is being presented at a conference in Sydney) will have long lasting effects.
Only the other week a good friend with a 4yo, 2yo and 2 month old went to
her Dr for her six week check. All her girls have had reflux and this baby
is the same. She gets very little sleep. When the Dr asked how she was going
she burst into tears. She just needed someone to talk  but the Dr went into
saviour mode and told her she was at risk for depression and wanted to ring
then and make an appointment for her at Tresillian. Tressilian tend to be into getting baby to feed less frequently and making them sleep  (controlled crying). That wasn't what she wanted at all and she knew it wouldn't work anyway because the problem is the child has reflux not that the child won't sleep- that's a symptom. The Dr even called the child health clinic (after she left) to warn them about her. She could tell when she went there that they were looking at her funnily and when she asked them they confirmed that they had had a call from the Dr. In fact she is coping OK. She has strategies in place to manage, knows what she is doing and has good support. It's just plain hard work and feeling down sometimes is normal.

Her first child had reflux as bad as this one and it was harder because she had all the expectations about crying and sleep and didn't know what was going on. With this child she understands what is going on and that definitely helps coping. If women expect that being a mother should be easy and that it is their right/need to get 8 hrs sleep a night then they are being set up to fail and I don't know about any of you but failure is one thing that makes me feel depressed. I hate it. However, if women expect that they might get little sleep, don't have great expectations of themselves as per work/housework, other stuff but instead meet the needs of their child then they might see that they are a success and though tiredness might make them feel down sometimes, there is nothing like job satisfaction to make you feel good.

Sorry for so many posts.

Karleen Gribble
Australia