From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 12:51:53 -0700
I really enjoyed reading Beverly Vaugh's sharing the URL of the
University of Illinois site on various mammal milk compositions.

The fat/protein ratio and glucose levels for each species is most
interesting.  The species specific nature of the milk testifies to a
cold climate mammal such as polar bear and the ocean marine mammals all
having high fat milk, higher when they are exclusively raised near the
south pole.

Deer and reindeer migrate and can be quick movers, have their young in
the forest and sometimes leave them camouflaged alone for hours on the
ground. Both have high fat milk.

Kangaroo babies (joeys) get low fat and they are carried in mother's fur
lined pouches (shouldn't get too hot in there.) Plus they have high
protein to possibly make those incredibly strong hind leg bones.

Donkeys like humans have the highest lactose.  They like their milk
sweet. May be why they will go anywhere with a carrot dangling in front
of them. (We had a donkey named U-Haul go hiking with us years ago.)

It all has a purpose.  Would love to take a class on *why* the
proportions
are the way they are.  The scientific part makes the species specific
purpose much more relevant.  I believe the composition factors would
appeal to men/partners of moms and make them much more of an ally of
breastfeeding and change them to become anti-formula.  (You're going to
feed my kid what?!)
Judy Ritchie