Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:50:31 -0500
Joan, I like your post on the difference between weaning and a nursing
strike. I was reminded of a piece that I wrote a number of years ago when
doing a presentation on weaning. There are many "weanings" throughout our
lives in relationship with our children.

And, now that I think of it, there can be a few "nursing (or nurturing)
strikes" also. And we need to know that those aren't meant to be weanings.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

                How To Wean a Baby

Hold her as often as she wants and you want to.

Comfort her when she is hurt or angry or scared.

Be _present_ to her.

Do things you both enjoy doing together.

Listen to her when she expresses her need.

Touch her gently and lovingly and often.

Have time for her.

_See_ her.

Try to have some of your greatest moments in you day be when you are with her.

        This process if weaning begins at birth. These aren't steps in severing

a relationship, but a process in the development of a life-long connection

between two people who love each other.  Within the patten of these human

will be so many new ways of saying "I love you," and "I am here for you."

Mailto:[log in to unmask]