From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 14:33:29 EDT
Cathy wrote:
"I always encourage mums to feed using their instincts or common sense and
 feed as they see fit for their baby. I always talk about differing storage
 capacities to mothers and explain that this in one reason why some babies
 will demand differently to others."

Cathy,
I wonder if a lot of the problems we see with hyperlaction, low supply, slow-gaining babies, etc comes from the "flavor-of-the-month" way of timing feeds. It used to be the nurse for 5 minutes scenario that left moms engorged and babies hungry, then it was the nurse for 15 miutes on both sides which left some babies overfed on lactose and some undefed period and now it's the nurse on one side until finished which leaves mothers unsure what "finished" means.
    It is true that mothers ask us for these answers and so we look hard at the literature and the moms we see and try to find an answer, but, just as with anything else, the most commonly useful answer for some moms is going to cause problems for other moms. The problem is that most moms are not willing, if they are even able, to follow their instincts, and so they follow the "rule", even when we only intend it to be a guideline.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA