Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:44:45 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/01 9:05:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  I understand the *pesticide treadmill* but also
>  see chemicals *at times* a logical solution until a better solution can be
>  came up with.
The area which contained the West Nile outbreak in NYC also contained a large
tire dump. A photo opportunity for the mayor with a spray rig garners more
political favor than educating the public to dump out buckets and containers
and to cut holes in old tires. Mass spraying was more a political expedient
than any form of control for mosquito populations.
  This year the focus is on habitat reduction and not mass spraying.  Did all
the dead monarch butterflies in the streets influence this? Or all the dead
lobsters in the sound? Who knows , keep the pressure on and the tires and tin
cans empty.
The same approach as any other third world country.
If you think West Nile was a problem wait until we get an outbraek of Dengue
fever in the USA.

What bees these mortals fool.