From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:58:18 -0500
Hello Sharon & All,
I am afraid I won't be very popular with Sharon after I do this post and I
am sorry.  The main critic of *Silent Spring* by the chemical companies was
what are the alternatives?  Does Rachel Carson say let the world be taken
over by insects?
Chemicals ARE the last line of defense.  Examples are the *West Nile Virus
in New York and *sleeping disease* in Florida.   Misquitos carry both.  The
beekeeping lawsuit in Florida involved misquito spraying in Florida.
Many times peoples needs win out over birds needs.
The fact that we will need stronger and different *new* chemicals to
continue the battle was kept from the general pubic back in the 50's and
60's by chemical companies.   The area of pesticides is not black or white
but gray.
On one hand beekeepers are cussing Bayer for introduction of Imidacloprid
and praising Bayer for the *checkmite strips* which has bought commercial
beekeeping ( U.S. )a couple years before the problem of Varroa control will
be back. I expected varroa resistant to Coumaphos this spring but none have
been reported yet.   In my opinion they are allready in  bee yards but so
far have been undetected.   IPM measures WILL NOT work for the million hives
which polinate the crops in the U.S..   IPM is to labor intensive and not
cost effective for a industry allready staggering from low income.   IPM may
in the end prove  all we have got to work with.   Many researcher have
voiced the opinion.
Chemical companies will be praised by some and then cussed by some.  I have
talked to the beekeeping representitives from both Bayer (Checkmite)& Zoecon
(Apistan).   They both understand the pesticide treadmill but are trying to
provide short term solutions to problems for many industries.   Release of
chemicals into the invironment as Sharon said is a risky gamble at best as
we CAN NOT know for sure long term effects.   I felt it was time in the
discussion to at least present why chemicals are used at all.   I was raised
in Florida and without treating for termites ALL houses become termite food.
People will protect their investments.   Now we have got chemicals in ground
water.   The problem in my opinion is when do you grab the spray gun and
which chemical do you use.   I understand the *pesticide treadmill* but also
see chemicals *at times* a logical solution until a better solution can be
came up with.
Bob