Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 11:17:18 -0500
Dear Dia,

Here are class notes for an interesting course  -- ANSCI 308 -- entitled
Lactation Biology: Milk Composition, written by Professor W. L. Hurley of
the Department of Animal Sciences of the University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign.  The URL is:
http://classes.aces.uiuc.edu/AnSci308/milkcomp.html

This lesson includes discussions on:

An Overview of Milk Composition
Physicochemical Properties of Milk
Variability of Milk Components

At about page 13, there is a table listing the Variability of Milk
Components in Species of Mammal.  The table is adapted from course notes by
Robert D. Bremel, University of Wisconsin and from Handbook of Milk
Composition, by R. G. Jensen, Academic Press, 1995.

Table headings listed are: 1) SPECIES; 2) FAT %; 3) PROTEIN %; 4) PROT. /FAT
[ratio]; 5) LACTOSE %; 6) ASH %; 7) TOTAL SOLIDS %.

The table lists about 27 different mammalian milks with 6 different breeds
of cow.

From that URL you can also go to the Animal Science Department's topics in
Lactation Biology, which are grouped into 16 areas or Lessons:

Mammary Gland Anatomy
Mammary Gland Anatomy of Cattle
Comparative Mammary Gland Anatomy
Milk Composition
Mammary Tissue Histology and Cell Biology
Mammary Tissue Organization
Mamary Tissue Lobules
Mammary Tissue Alveolus
Mamary Cells
Pathways of Precursor Uptake in Mammary Cells
Mammary Cell Ultrastructure
Lactose Synthesis
Milk Fat Synthesis
Milk Prtoteins and Protein Synthesis
Minerals and Vitamins
Mammary Gland Development - Mammogenesis
Induction of Lactation - Lactogenesis
Maintenance of Lactation - Galactopoeisis
Role of Milk Removal
Role of Hormones
Milk Ejection
Mammary Gland Involution
Factors Affecting Milk Yield and Composition
The Neonate and Colostrum
Mastitis
Comparative Lactation Biology
Marsupials
Dogs and Cats
Pigs
Human Lactation

And there is also a link to "How Breast Milk Protects Newborns," by J.
Newman.

I hope the table listed here has the information you need.

Sincerely,

Beverly Vaugh
Austin, Texas
La Leche League Leader
(I needed this information to help kittens that I foster for the local
Humane Society)